Monday, October 31, 2011

Citizenship

Kidist was adopted 4 1/2 years ago, but we never completed the citizenship process for her.  When we finally decided that all four of us would travel to Ethiopia in January, we knew we had to get that done asap.  We did not want to take her back to Ethiopia without her being a full-fledged American citizen.  The application was submitted many weeks ago, and we have been praying earnestly that it would be reviewed and approved expeditiously without any of the delays for which INS is so well known.  From the beginning of our adoption journey, God has sheperded our paperwork through the federal government with incredible speed and accuracy.  We trusted the same would be true this time.  We need her citizenship finalized in order to get her an American passport (which takes at least 6 weeks), so time really is of the essence.

On Saturday morning, the doorbell rang.  Dave and Kidist answered the door and found the postman standing there.  Kiki immediately began giving him a hard time.  (Normal for this child and an enormous embarassment to her older brother who tried to stay out of sight in the dining room.)  The conversation went something like this:
"Who are you?" 
"I'm the postman."
"Why didn't you just put the mail in the mailbox?"
"Because I have something you have to sign for."
'Who is it for?"
"A Kidist Valadez."
"Hey, that's me!"
"I suspected as much."

The earliest possible date we could have expected her citizenship paperwork was November 4th.  I wasn't even thinking about it and couldn't for the life of me figure out what Kidist would be getting in the mail that would require a signature.  When she brought me the envelope and I saw "US Citizenship and Immigration Services", my heart jumped.  I immediately had a quick thought of "I hope this is good news!"  You never know.  We quickly opened the envelope and found a blue folder with gold embossed letters on the front forming the US Department of Homeland Security Seal and "U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services".  I knew we were in good shape.  Inside was a very fancy certificate of citizenship, along with a letter from the President.  The child was proud of herself!!  I swear she grew an inch just standing there proud and tall.  In true Kiki-like fashion, she promptly asked, "Will I get to see the President?"  No, child, I'm sorry.  Carlos piped in, "I bet Mrs. O'Bama would really like Kiki!"  You know what, Carlos?  I think you are right!

At any rate, we are one step closer.  And this piece was fun.  Now we pray that passport issuance goes just as well. 

Thank you, God, for shepherding our steps, one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment