Friday, November 4, 2011

Happy Birthday, Carlos!

Today is Carlos' 9th Birthday!  He set his alarm this morning for 6:17 a.m., the time he was born.  I set mine for 6:15 a.m., so I could be by his bed when he woke up.  What a blessing to sit there in the dark and listen to my son breathe!  Somehow, I woke him up, and he sat up in bed, very excited, and said, "Mom!  Get in and lay down with me, so we can be together when the alarm goes off!"  So much excitement over the moment of his beginning.  We laid together like spoons, and I thought back to the cold, November morning nine years ago when he left me to take his place in this world.  Precious.  He's so big now.  I told him as we headed downstairs for breakfast that I thought he'd gotten taller overnight!

He got a half hour of Wii before breakfast, and we ate cinnamon rolls, both big things in a house where TV/video time is tightly controlled and Mom buys only healthy cereal and high-fiber, low-sugar oatmeal!!  The cinnamon rolls were his sister's idea.  She is a sweet freak, so I'm fairly sure she wasn't thinking as much about her brother's birthday as she was angling an opportunity for herself to have junk-food for breakfast. It made for a fun start to her brother's day, so we went with it.  When he found out breakfast was her idea, she was rewarded with a huge, lift-your-feet-off-the-ground hug.  It was a good morning. 

I am reminded of how intensely and abundantly we are blessed.  It really is crazy when you think about it - over the top, "open the floodgates of heaven and let it pour out" kinds of blessings.  My kids are beautiful, smart, healthy, good, safe, well fed, and well cared for.  So, so, so many others are not.  I don't know the whys of it all, but I do know that as a family we want to do something about it.  

Happy Birthday, Carlos!  We love you so much!  Enjoy this day.  And remember, Son, that all your many blessings are from the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment