Saturday, October 29, 2011

Humbled

Last night was the fund-raising dinner hosted for us by our Sunday School class - amazing and wonderful friends who truly live out the words of Christ:  "No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends."  (John 15:13)  These people have laid down their lives and taken up my own more times than I can count.  And they do it in such beautiful ways!  When we walked in last night, there were beautiful items laid out for a silent auction.  Incredible artwork by dear friends who have the gift of creativity - paintings, photographs, jewelry.  Donations of babysitting services and home cooked dinners.  Fun things like a Colts helmet grill and a cooler that cools without the need for ice or can heat for you if you prefer!  I was struck by how those gifts, those donations, illustrated how we are all called to give - of our time, our talents, and our treasures.  Then, of course, there was the food.  Tons, it seemed, of delicious home-made Italian dishes.  (Thanks, girls!)  The most delicious sweet tea.  (Thanks, Kelly!)  A cake decorated as the Ethiopian flag!  Prayer cards were handed out with our family's prayer requests.  (Thanks, Elizabeth!)  And thank you, Amanda, for it all.

Our friends had asked that all four of us speak.  Dave spoke so clearly right to the point of why we go:  obedience to the Lord, teaching and training our children, and because it is a privilege.  I spoke about beautiful feet and pure and undefiled religion - to care for orphans and widows in their distress (James 1:27, our family verse for this trip).  But the most profound moment of the evening came from my eight year old son.  We had told the kids just a week ago that our friends wanted all four of us to speak.  We gave them a few days to think about it.  We didn't make a big deal of it or even discuss it with them.  Just let them think.  Yesterday after school I reminded Kidist that she had been asked to speak and asked her if she knew what she was going to say.  She told me "Yes!" and then said two or three short things, mostly about returning to see her family.  I asked Carlos if he knew what he was going to say.  He, too, said, "Yes."  I asked him if he wanted to talk about it.  He said, "No, I think I've pretty much got it."  I left it at that. 

After dinner, Dave spoke first, and then Kidist got stage fright and couldn't speak at all.  Carlos went next.  He has terrible anxiety about speaking in front of people, especially a room full of adults, not all of whom he knows well.  However, he seemed perfectly calm, and when I asked if he'd go ahead, he just nodded his head yes.  He stood beside the small podium, not much taller than it, and said, "Well, I'm not much into this" (meaning the trip).  He then described how he was "not courageous enough to go".  He openly shared his fear and ended by saying, "So, please pray for me."  I'm not sure I can even describe to you how I felt - so proud of him for being honest and brave enough to admit his fear, so humbled by his complete humility in submitting to something he fears and having no anger or rebellion against it, so amazed to see God working in my own children as we prepare for this journey, young as they are. 

Michelle said at our first team meeting that the journey has already begun, and she's right.  God is at work in us - in every one of us - and in those around us. 

For what was a fairly small group of people last night, an amazing amount of money was raised.  We won't know the final total until tomorrow, probably, but I believe another full 10% of our trip will be funded.  One check from one church family and one dinner event from another church family and we are 20% of the way there.  God truly provides.  But what I love most is the precious, beautiful way He provides and how He changes us and calls us into something new as He provides. 

I can tell already that my personal theme for this trip is going to be "Humbled".

1 comment:

  1. It was such a beautiful night! Thank you for allowing us to be part of this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete